NIGEL OLSEN

Nigel K. Olsen 1989 ~ 2010 Lance Corporal Nigel Kenton Olsen, 21, of Salem, Utah was killed in action March 4, 2010 supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Nigel was born Jan 20, 1989 in American Fork, Utah to Kim and L Todd Olsen. He was the youngest and 10th child of a combined family. Nigel grew up in Orem and graduated with honors from Mountain View High School in 2007. He moved with his parents to Salem, Utah shortly after graduation. Even as a child Nigel expressed a strong desire to join the military and serve his country. He had a deep and personal sense of patriotism and took honor in flying the American flag at his home. One week after high school graduation, Nigel enlisted in the United States Marine Corps where he was assigned as a scout in the 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion. Nigel was an avid student and reader of military history. One of his many passions was to play military strategy games like Warhammer 40,000, Axis and Allies and others with his closest friends. He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and held the office of Elder. Nigel was a graduate of the LDS Seminary program and earned his Eagle Scout award. Nigel was attending the Salem Singles Ward prior to deployment. Nigel's family would like to express appreciation and gratitude to his brother Marines for the honor, respect and kindness shown to Nigel and his family during this difficult time. The family has also been deeply touched by the overwhelming support from family, friends, and the community.I didn't know Nigel, but when I heard of his death, I was at a loss for words. Then I found out that he was in the same company as my brother. Dan called late Wednesday night (Thursday night in Afghanistan) and had asked if my mom had seen anything on the news. She said no and Dan said, "Well, you will". He then proceeded to tell her that the LAV (Light Armored Vehicle) he was driving rolled over an IED but for some reason it didn't detonate. However, it went off when the LAV behind Dan rolled over it. My mom asked if that was the only IED and Dan said "No, there's more. Bombs are being thrown at us." A couple of days later, we found out Nigel had been killed. Dan called yesterday because it was Nelson's 17 birthday. He couldn't talk to Nels because he was at school, but Dan told my mom that he knew Nigel. They had bunked 2 beds apart and Dan saw his body after the explosion. They had a little service for Nigel to honor him and Dan said he wants to visit Nigel's parents after he gets home.
It should have been my brother that was killed. Angels in heaven were watching over him and his life was spared for some reason that I can't even begin to comprehend right now. I know Nigel's family and friends had been praying for him, so why is it that my brother lived and Nigel died? One day we'll find out the reason.
I try to write Dan every other week and I am ready to start a letter to him. But what do I say to him? What words can I write that could even possible console him? So last night, I turned to the scriptures for some peace and comfort. In Alma 56 I read about the Stripling Warriors. I came across verse 11 which says "Nevertheless, we may console ourselves in this point, that they have died in the cause of their country and of their God, yeah, and they are happy."
This is not the first time my family has come close to losing one of my brothers. 14 years ago, Nels had cancer and he came close to death a couple of times. By the miracles of God, his life was spared and he has beaten all odds. Dan's life has been spared. I have felt just a little hollow inside and have been on the brink of tears all day. I just want to shed tears for Nigel's family, for my brother and the other Marine's involved, for all those that have died for this country. I want to shed tears of joy that my brother is alive and that he is strong enough to keep the spirits up in his platoon and that he has been able to keep his focus.
I am grateful for the peace the gospel brings and for the role of the Comforter. I have definitely needed some comfort and I know that there are many others out there that have need of comfort. I finally can understand the phrase "mourn with those that mourn" for I have mourned this week.
My testimony of eternal families has been strengthened.
My testimony of the Plan of Salvation has been strengthened.
The Atonement of Jesus Christ can bring peace and comfort.
Oh Claudia! I have chills all over! I'm so glad Dan is safe, and that the Lord protected him! My heart goes out to you and your family, and the family of that brave soldier. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI have the utmost respect for our servicemen and their families and I can't begin to understand what they go through to allow me the freedoms I take for granted. Thanks Claudia for your family's sacrifice and your brother and his company are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteWow. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your testimony!
ReplyDelete