I love the sound of rain. It's so calming and soothing to me. Last night I fell asleep to the pitter patters falling against my window. It was the only thing that soothed me as I longed for home. For the first time in 4 months, I am homesick. I've never had this feeling before, so I don't really know how to handle myself. It was the General Priesthood Session and as I watched Nate drive off to the church, I just sat in my little apartment wandering around, and wondering what to do. I worked on some stuff for Super Saturday and then popped some popcorn and watched "Good Luck Charlie" with my girls... one on each side, but I was still lonely. There is such an amazing spirit in Utah during General Conference weekend, and I was homesick to feel that spirit. This weekend was just another ordinary weekend for Oregonians. Sundays are just another day of the week, and there's just as much traffic on the road as any other day.
Once we found out we were moving here, I have never looked back. Partly because if I did, I might feel something and not be able to manage up here by myself. Nate and I have had several adjustments to make, and they just haven't been easy. Going from student life to real life is hard. Much harder than I thought it would be. For one, I can't just go and ask my next door neighbor what their major is because they don't have a major. I'm still in semester mode and not continuous real life mode. Real life doesn't have semesters or winter breaks or spring breaks. There's just none of that. Then there's the money thing. While we were in school, everyone around us was poor and just scraping by, but in the real world, there are established families and people who aren't struggling. While we are incredibly grateful for the income we have, we are just starting to establish ourselves, and I can't use the excuse that we're poor college students anymore. Student life was simple. I will always treasure those 5 years we spent struggling and scraping by. Nate and I grew a lot as people, as a couple, and as parents.
Not only are we trying to adjust to "real life" but we're trying to adjust to life without family. We have incredibly supportive parents who helped us however they could. But up here I don't have my mom to take me to lunch on Thursdays or Pam making me breakfast on Saturday mornings before I go to work. There are no crazy Sunday schedules trying to race home from church to make it to both families. Our Sundays are lonely.
If I'm having a hard day with the kids, I can't just call up Grammie or Grandma to come take the kids.... I just have to deal with them and wait til Nate comes home. I can't call Grammie or Grandma to pick Ava up from school if I'm busy doing something else, I just make sure that I'm there to pick her up.
We moved here without knowing a single soul. It was The Cash Family vs. The World, and we're fighters. We can only turn to each other and remind each other that this is where we need to be. The Lord has put us here and we need to find out the reason.
Please don't think that I'm complaining or writing this to get sympathy, because I'm not. Sometimes in the blogging world, everything seems like rainbows and unicorns because no one posts about the mud and dirt of things. While we are enjoying Oregon and making friends (we have made a lot of friends... we have an awesome ward!) there are just moments when I long for something familiar.
I'm so sorry to hear of your sadness and homesickness, Claudia. I can understand how you feel, since you had so much family help there, and other "school" families. We love having you here. I wish I had a car so that I could come over and help you out with your kids, but if you want to bring them over here sometime, just call me to see if I'm available, and I'd love to help you out! I don't work, except teaching piano and making pancake mix. And I totally agree with you about the "puppy dogs and happiness" blogs! I believe people should share their pain, so that others, who might be going through the same thing, will be able to feel a connection. I hope you're able to go visit your family often. Take care, and have a good day! Love, Genevieve B. : ) (in your ward) : )
ReplyDeleteOh my dearest cousin. How I feel your pain! I have been a military wife for a long time, longer than I'd like to count sometimes! lol I had moved twice before moving to Maryland, once to South Dakota and once to California. Both were good and seemed "familiar" in some way then we moved to Maryland. Holy culture shock batman! It has been the craziest thing EVER! The East coast is SO VERY different from anything I have ever experienced before. I didn't know if we would make it here, we were supposed to be here for 5 years so I just put on a smiley face and made the best of it for awhile, then about year 3 we realized we would never leave Maryland as long as we were in the military which means we have lived here for almost 7 years and will continue living here for another 5 years -AT LEAST! SO CRAZY! I never, ever thought we would call Maryland home we are SO far away from our family BUT there is a silver lining. There is something to be said for putting roots down, long roots deep in the soil. And you have to embrace all of the positive stuff and make up positive stuff if you can't think of any! :) Just remember Heavenly Father loves you and knows you and your family. Our family motto is "Bloom where you are planted" we can't always control where the Lord needs us but rest assured we are all where we are supposed to be. :) LOVE YOU!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way about moving to Iowa. It was scary and I didn't know a soul. But we still had the safety of school. You are amazing and so brave!
ReplyDeleteI love you Claudia!!
ReplyDelete