So, here's a rundown of the quick labor and delivery.... As you know, I was put on bedrest over the weekend and Tuesday morning at 1:30 a.m. I woke up with this SPLITTING headache.
3:30 a.m. ~ Starting have contractions...
4:00 a.m. ~ Call the doc. She suggested Tylenol. Yeah, that didn't work.
4:45 a.m. ~ Wake Nate up and tell him we need to go to the hospital. Get Ava ready, call my mom to come get Ava, and drive over the BUMPIEST road ever to get to the hospital.
5:20 a.m. ~ Arrive at IMC. Get my blood pressure checked, it's 195/123. No wonder I have a headache. Find out the preeclampsia has become extremely severe.
6:00 a.m. ~ Get an IV, dialated to a 5! Labs are drawn to make sure my platelets are high enough to get an epidural. Thank heaven they were! The doc had a hard time getting the epidural in because I had so much fluid on my back. Given magnesium sulfate through the IV to reduce the risk of having a seizure during delivery.
8:30 a.m. ~ Put in the delivery room. The NICU team comes and talks to us about how things are going to go once Hallie's here. I will deliver in the OR and she will be whisked right to NICU once she's born.
10:00 a.m. ~ Dialated to an 8
10:45 a.m. ~ Dialated to a 9
10:47 a.m. ~ Tell them I've got to push. They tell me to hang on. I say no. Nate gets dressed in his "space outfit". Wheeled to the OR.
10:49 a.m. ~ Push for 15 seconds and Hallie's here! She had all ready been whisked to the NICU by the time my doc could come. Dr. Ponder was so stunned that she missed it! They had to pull another doctor, who was about to start a C section on another patient , to come deliver me.
I had to have the magnesium sulfate for 24 hrs, and let me tell you, that stuff makes you feel like crap. I couldn't focus my eyes or hardly lift my head off the pillow while I got it. Dr. Ponder showed me the placenta and pointed out how much scar tissue and knots were on it. She says that's an indication that the toxemia has been reeking havoc on my body for awhile, it just now started to show itself. They think that toxemia starts when the placenta is forming and attaching itself.
Hallie has been breathing on her own since birth, thanks to those steroid shots. She was under the bili lights for a couple of days, and lost a little weight. She now weighs 4 lbs. 1 oz. She had to have a feeding tube for a day, and is now getting a little sugar water to help with her glucose levels. However, she has gotten rid of 2 IV lines and her sugar water was decreased today from 5 mL an hour to 3 mL an hour. She is chugging about an ounce of milk every 3 hrs and is pooping up a storm!
She is the sweetest thing and is such a fighter! Sometimes it's hard not being able to take her home, but I look at the other babies in the NICU and realize just how blessed we've been that she is doing so well. I have been so grateful for my many blessings. I have had the best family support in the world. They have all made arrangements to help out these next few weeks. I'm still swollen and not feeling well from the toxemia and get tired really easy. Nate took Ava to the cabin this weekend, so I've stayed at my mom's and have been able to just rest.
I have seen the Lord's hand work many miracles this past week. I know He is watching out for my little family and is aware of our needs. I have felt of His love and have felt Him comfort me during this past week.
Claudia, I am SO glad to hear everything is ok. That is really scary, and blessing from the Lord are quite amazing! Keep us updated. =)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that you and Hallie are doing well. That is too bad that Dr. Ponder missed it, but isn't she an amazing doctor?! She delivered Aidan and she is one of those doctors that I wish I could take with me wherever I go as long as I am having kids! Our prayers are with you and Hallie for a quick recovery!
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful Claudia. What a blessing things worked out. Congratulations on another beautiful daughter!
ReplyDeleteWow, Claudia that is quite the experience. I'm glad things worked out as well as they did. I've worked in the NICU and things can get pretty bad. Sounds like Hallie is doing GREAT! I hope you get to take her home soon!! Oh, and I hope your swelling goes down soon (mine took about 2 weeks). :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds exhausting! I hope you feel better soon. Having a baby is hard enough already! She is beautiful and looks so strong. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is quite a story. 15 seconds of pushing! Phew. Glad you are both doing well. She is just beautiful and so are you!
ReplyDeleteI am praying for your quick recovery! SHe is beautiful and I am so glad she is doing so well!
ReplyDeleteClaudia, We are praying for you and your family. We have also been so blessed to have awesome medical care when Lauren was born. We are so happy that things are working out and she is such a fighter!
ReplyDeleteWoW she looks just like a you all! I am so glad everything went as well as it did considering the circumstances. Isn't Dr.Ponder great. She is the one that delivered Valerie. When I moved from Utah I wish I could have brought her with me! I hope you start feeling better soon and enjoy that new little girl of yours :)
ReplyDeleteWow! That is So scary. I am so glad that things turned out okay.
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful!
Hey! I went to Dr. Ponder for Joey- I loved her, had to switch with insurance for Jeanie but so plan on going back to her!
Oh wow! I'm glad you're both ok! Congrats! She's beautiful!
ReplyDelete