Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things I Love

I am such a blessed little lady... I just wanted to take a little minute and just remember a couple of things I am especially grateful for, and more importantly, what I've come to love.

My new favorite part of the day is about 9:00 p.m. Ava is quietly sleeping and I am usually rocking my little Gi-Gi (Hallie's new nickname.... given by Ava) to sleep. I love holding her in my arms and smelling her. (Is that weird?) She is such a sweet little baby and is my saving grace most days. I have had to come to love her. Of course I loved her from the beginning, but my little heart has just blossomed with love for her. I am so grateful for her and her sweet little personality.

While I rock Gi-Gi to sleep, I look around my apartment and think. I USED to think about how little, cluttered, and old my apartment is. Sometimes, I feel like my cinder block walls are going to close in around me. But the other night, I just thought about all the memories I have here.
I have come to love my aparment..... Here's what I love....
* My washer. It's so noisy that you can't talk above it while it's in the spin cycle. It shakes so much that after every load, I have to move it back into place. I have to twist and bend around our garbage and Ava's chair to even get a load in... but I have clean clothes every week. The other night, it was shaking so bad and it was so loud, that Nate had to sit on it so we could even have a conversation. It made me laugh.
* My little fridge. Although it's small, it holds just enough food for our family. It usually houses a couple of gallons of milk, butter, some fruit, and yogurt. Put just a couple more items in it, and it looks full! Plus, it short so I can reach on top of it without having to stand on a chair.
*Our little oven. It has one rack, and all the burners touch each other, but it has cooked some delicious meals.
*My table. It's become my second countertop. I use it for a variety of things. Mainly cooking, but Ava and I love to do crafts on it. It usually holds our laptop, school books, newspaper, and we set our groceries on it before we put them away. Currently, Gi-Gi's Bumbo sits on it.
*My dishwasher.... wait, I don't have one! But I love doing the dishes every night with Nate. I usually wash and he rinses. It gives us 15 minutes every day to catch up with each other.
* My carpet. It's mismatched but it keeps my feet warm. Plus, vacuumming only takes 10 minutes. I only have to plug my vacuum in the bathroom, and I can reach my whole apartment. Love it.
* My glider. It's black microfiber, and it is so comfy. It's a good thing, because I have spent many nights in that thing.
* Our tiny bathroom. Whenever Nate and I want to trade places, we have to hug each other to switch places, but that means I get an extra hug every day. :) When I was prego, there was no way that both of us could be in there.
*Our tiny bedroom. It's barely big enough for our bed and a nightstand. Nate has to crawl over me every night, but I don't mind.
*The girl's room. It's barely big enough for Ava's bed and the crib, but it's so close to our room that I can hear every noise the girls make at night. If they need anything, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
*I love that I can walk from one end of my living room to the other end of my kitchen in a total of 10 steps.
* Cleaning is quick and usually painless.
*It has helped increase my creativity. I am constantly trying to figure out how to hang things from cinder block, and I am constantly thinking of ways to rearrange things so that I can fit even more things in our apartment.

Most of all, I love what this apartment represents. Nate and I didn't start out with a house. In fact, we aren't even looking at getting a house for a few years. But this apartment represents sacrifice and hard work. We have had to sacrifice some things in order to get Nate through school. We haven't gone on a vacation in a LOOOONNNNGGG time. We are wearing clothes that are 4 years old. We've had to survive with one car (until now. My mom sold us her car for super cheap..... ). But I feel so blessed because I know that Nate is working so hard to secure a future for us by getting his education. One day, we'll have newer clothes that don't have holes or stains on them. One day we'll go on a vacation. One day we won't have student loans. One day we'll be able to spend more than $10 without feeling guilty. But for today, we have a cute little 600 square foot apartment and we have the cozy comfort of each other.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your positive outlook on things! I need to be more like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love all of the thoughts you share. You express yourself very well. I really loved our time in the village and will always cherish our little cinder block palace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally can relate to that. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Claud you really are going to miss these days! I look back and I love the older places we lived in the most! I got to really know my best friend there. I will never forget the places I took my babies home to! Cherish these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO awesome with your positive ways! You are a great example to me. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to hear when others have as fond feelings and happy memories of the village as we did. Yes, it has its quirks and there are things we don't miss. But it makes me happy just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhhh. I love this! And I totally needed a reminder. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and I can totally relate to it, besides the fact that I don't have the positive attitude about it quite as much. It is funny to think of things like that, like the washer that makes noise. I feel that way about my dryer, I drag the wet clothes across my room every day and think, wow, I am really lucky to have this dryer. I shove as many clothes in it that will fit because it is small and it runs forever, but it is a luxury to me right now. It is funny because before we lived here, I would never thought of anything like that, or I think, man, I am so lucky I can use as many lights as I want and not have to pay...he he.

    ReplyDelete