Sunday, September 19, 2010

Eastern Idaho State Fair

My cousins and I decided to go up to the Idaho State Fair this year. It's held in Blackfoot, ID which just so happens to be where my mother is from. Nate couldn't come, so I was brave and drove up by myself. Ok, I wasn't really by myself because I conned my little bro into coming, but I've never driven 3 hours one way with 2 kids in the car. They actually did really well. Nelson really was a big help. I haven't been feeling the greatest the past few weeks and I have been having a hard time holding Halle, so Nels was constantly holding her and pushing the stroller for me.

We had tons of fair food (I skipped my diet for a day. Who can resist fair food?) We ate Tiger's Ears which is fried bread smothered with cinnamon and sugar. MMMmmmm.....



And I had a Grizzly Burger. What's a Grizzly Burger, you ask? Just look at the pic below. It did not disappoint.



Ava felt the urge to do some gymnastics during lunch. She was so cute, I just had to get a picture. She seriously stayed here for 5 min.





My grandma and grandpa came to the fair with us. I loved watching Ava and Halle interact with them.



We saw the cows. Nelson didn't like the smell at all, and kept his nose plugged the whole time we were inside, but I loved watching everyone get their cows ready to show. They bring the cows over to a station and they blow dry them off and they spike the hair on the back and they even spray paint them. I called it "Cow Cosmetology". It was really intriguing.



Ava was too keen on turing her back to the cow why I took the picture. Hence the look on her face.
We tried on cowboy hats.

And I just love getting caricature's of my kids. I just adore this picture. I love the eyes because I think the artist really captured the look that Halle gives.

And the real reason we went to the fair was to see the races. We spent 4 hours just watching the horses race. (There was tons of down time in between.) I can't even begin to describe the excitement that goes on during the races. You just have to be there. My grandpa was tickled pink when Ava went and started talking to him. I just love this pic.

And of course, we put a little money on one of the races. We each pitched in $2 and picked what horse we thought would win. Nelson ended up winning a whopping $7 total (my grandma only pitched in $1). He was pretty happy.... I just hope this doesn't start some sort of gambling addiction. :)


This is the end of the Indian Relay Races. Those are by far the best to watch because they ride bareback! It's just amazing to watch them fly on and off the horses in just a split second. They have nothing to grab onto except the horses' mane. This is the winning team. They won a whopping $35,000! Now that's a nice chunk of change.

We had so much fun going and we'll definitely be going back next year. I drove back that same night, and was simply exhausted, but it was sure worth it.







3 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!! It's been a couple years since we've been to a fair, but that Idaho fair definitely sounds like it's worth the trip!! Cute pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun. And that fried bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jer and I used to go to the Eastern Idaho state fair every year. We always get a tigers ear. So good. I'm a sucker for funnel cakes as well.

    ReplyDelete