Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter Happenings

     It seems like Easter has been a week long thing for me. On Sunday, we had dinner with Nate's family and dessert with my family. It was Nate's last Sunday in Utah, so we wanted to go see both families. Church was particularly rough for me. I play the organ... and it was my month to play. So, I played the Opening, Sacrament, and Closing songs. That's not the rough part, though. I also had to play for the ward choir while they sang... and it wasn't just one song. It was 3! So I got up and down 6 times in an hour while Nate battled screaming children. Needless to say, it was a little difficult to feel the true Easter spirit.
     Of course the Easter bunny came to our house. He didn't bring much, though. The girls got one toy each and a coloring book and one egg filled with jelly beans. I didn't want them to be on a sugar high, but they seemed happy with what they got. I did get them little Easter outfits, and they looked absolutely stunning.




     When I was younger, I never really got an Easter basket. I always felt a little jipped as I saw all my friends playing with their toys. Sure, I got a new dress every year... but none of the candy or frills that usually come with Easter. And if we did get something, it was centered around the gospel. I was a little bitter growing up, but now I can understand why my mom did things this way. She felt Easter was too sacred of a holiday to get caught up in all the toys and candy. Now that I'm a mother and a little wiser... I didn't want to go overboard with my children.
     I want to instill a love of the Savior in my children. I want them to know why Easter is such a significant holiday. Of course they are too young to truly understand the divine mission of Christ. I don't want them to think that Easter is another time for candy and gifts, but a time of reflection and gratitude.

     The Easter spirit has continued on throughout this past weekend. I just got back for Women's Conference down at BYU. It was my first time going, and it was a little overwhelming. But I have been filled with a deeper love of our Savior and a greater desire to live up to the covenants I have made. I went to a seminar that was entitled "Believe in Christ" and two women spoke about the relationship between grace, the Atonement, and believing in Christ. The are both associate professor's at BYU and have PhD's. They were able to explain the gift of the Atonement in such  a way that it has impacted me deeply.


    I also had the chance to go see the Carl Bloch exhibit. I was so moved by the paintings of this man. He had such a different perspective on the life of the Savior that he painted emotions and feelings that pierced my soul.

    


     I know Christ lives. I am amazed that He would care about me despite my weaknesses and imperfections. I am a daughter of God who has a divine mission to fulfill as a wife and mother. I must carefully guard my family against the things of the world and to teach them about the Savior and our Heavenly Father's plan. I feel a greater sense of this duty as we prepare to move out of state. Utah is predominantly LDS, and we are going to be in the minority. My children will stand apart from others and will need to be knowledgeable in what we believe so that when they are asked why the do not swear, do not drink coffee, or why they pray daily, they will be able to testify with clarity and conviction.

     I love my Savior and I feel immense gratitude for the things I have experienced this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment