Sunday, September 25, 2011

Getting Back In The Swing Of Things

     Well, we've been to Utah and back, and I still feel like I'm trying to get into my groove. It's amazing how much energy and effort goes into going on "vacation". First, there's the packing.... then the cleaning of our apartment (making sure that no dirty clothes are left, no dirty dishes in the sink, and that the garbage is taken out right before we leave)... then there's the actual traveling, which is an experience with 2 small kids who also managed to catch colds on their way back home. Then there's the craziness of trying to spend time with as many people as possible while in Utah... and then we get back home to all the laundry and cleaning and catching up on e-mails that accompanies being gone for awhile.... Needless to say, I'm a little exhausted. But, it was worth it. :)
    While we were in Utah, we were able to see Nate's brother, Zach, get married to his lovely bride, Tara. I was grateful to be able to witness their sealing and to see them so happy. They had a great ceremony that helped put into perspective the reason for marriage and why eternal marriage is so essential to our Heavenly Father's plan.
Taken at Z and T's reception

 I couldn't help but think of a quote that's in the Gospel Principles Handbook that has stuck with me. It reads, "Many people in the world consider marriage to be only a social custom, a legal agreement between a man and a woman to live together. But to Latter-day Saints, marriage is much more. Our exaltation depends on marriage, along with other principles and ordinances, such as faith, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. We believe that marriage is the most sacred relationship that can exist between a man and a woman. This sacred relationship affects our happiness now and in the eternities..." The lesson goes on to say, "As Latter-day Saints, we are living with an eternal perspective, not just for the moment... We know that our marriage can last forever. Death can part us from one another only temporarily. Nothing can part us forever except our own disobedience. This knowledge helps us work harder to have a happy, successful marriage. We know that our family can continue throughout eternity. This knowledge helps us be careful in teaching and training our children. It also helps us show them greater patience and love. Because we have been married in God's ordained way, we are entitled to an outpouring of the Spirit on our marriage as we remain worthy." (If you want to read the whole lesson, click here.)
     During their wedding, I couldn't help but think of my own marriage. I reflected on the circumstances that brought Nate and I together and how our paths had crossed before. I can still vividly recall the exact moment I knew I was going to marry him. It was as if a light switch had been turned on. (Want to read more about personal revelation? Click here.) And here I sit, almost 6 years later (almost to the day...) and can't help but think of how the Lord has blessed our marriage. We have had a few struggles, but we are in it together.
Yay for us! 

 We are eternally committed to each other, and that brings me joy. I think of how much I loved Nate the day we got married, and I think of how much I love him now, and I can't wait to see how my love will grow even more for him. My life truly began the day I got married.
     Some might say that our belief in eternal families is ridiculous. But I have a sure knowledge that families are eternal. I felt the assurance Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us when my youngest brother was close to death. He was diagnosed with cancer when he was 4 years old and had a few nights where we didn't know if he was going to make it. We had to face the possibility of losing someone, and that's when I prayed to know if families really are eternal. I was assured that they are. I was again reassured of eternal families when Halle was born and I watched them take her away to NICU not knowing if she was going to be okay. And I was assured again when my brother's bunk mate was killed by and IED in Afghanistan, and we had learned that Dan was mere minutes ahead of his bunk mate.
Seeing Dan for the first time after he got home from Afghanistan

 I have a sure knowledge that the gospel is real and it's alive. It isn't something that I hope for or just merely believe, it's a pure knowledge. And while I am far from living it perfectly, I am trying. There are days when I do better than others, but with the Lord's help, I just keep going. Having an eternal perspective and knowing that I have a loving, patient, and kind Father in Heaven has helped me get through hard times. I have felt His love and His comfort. Even this past week, I had such a sweet confirmation of His divine love that I just sobbed. It was one of the most beautiful, peaceful moments I have had in a long time.
Taken at Z and T's wedding. Isn't it beautiful?
     I am so happy for Zach and Tara and for their new life together. I am grateful for the past few weeks and how I've been able to take time to reflect on how sacred marriage is. I love this gospel. I love the tender mercies of the Lord.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment