As I roamed around the aisles of Target a couple of days ago, I felt completely lost. I saw endless crowds of people jabbing and pushing at each other to get the latest and greatest deal on some plastic toy that will more than likely be broken in a couple of months. I was blinded by all the glitz and glitter of brightly colored ornaments, and was saddened that there wasn't any sign of why we truly celebrate Christmas. There were reindeer's, Santa Claus', ornaments, bows, candy canes, snowmen... but nothing about Christ. After I was done shopping, I hopped in my car, turned on the radio, and was bombarded by endless songs about Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, Happy Christmas (The War Is Over... I love the song, but it's been a little overplayed here in Oregon...) and maybe once in awhile there is a rendition of O Holy Night. It has made me sad. Sad to think that there are people out there who don't even care why this holiday is so special and sacred. Sad to think that people want to do away with the saying "Merry Christmas" and replace it with "Happy Holidays".
As I have thought a lot about Christmas and how I can teach my children the real reason why we celebrate it, I have found some things to rejoice about. Although there is a lot of "worldly" attention on Christmas, there are also some wonderful songs and videos being produced that help us focus on Christ.
One of my favorite sayings I found this year is "Are you part of the INN crowd, or are you one of the STABLE few?" I have thought about those people who came to the stable after the Savior was born. The wise men and shepherds came to the stable after seeing and following the star. The star was there for everyone to see, but only a few recognized its significance and meaning, and followed it. Did the people in the inn see the star, and not know what it meant? Did they see the star, recognized what it meant, but were so caught up in themselves that they didn't bother to follow it? Or did they even look up to the heavens at all? Who do I identify myself with? Am I one of the INN crowd or am I one of the STABLE few?
As a mother, I hope to teach my children to look for "the star". I hope to teach them to be courageous and to follow "the star", even when it means making sacrifices and leaving the INN crowd behind. For those that follow "the star", their difficult journey will be rewarded with seeing the Savior. The wise men traveled from afar, and as a result of their long journey, they were able to stand in that holy stable and see the Son of God. Another saying I love is "Wise men still seek Him".
The ultimate gift that has been given to us was given from our Heavenly Father. He gave us His Son. I love my Savior. He has carried me through some hard times, and I have felt His love, especially as I have struggled with feelings of loneliness and isolation this past month. There have been moments that I have felt utterly lost, but I remember that there is a Great Redeemer who lives to hear my soul's complaint. He lives to comfort me, He lives to wipe away my tears. (I wish I was that poetic, but you know which hymn I'm referring to...). I truly do know that my Redeemer lives.


Love your thoughts on people who were in the inn and saw the star but didn't come. Or anyone around who heard the announcement and didn't come?? Seems CRAZY! But then you think of how we get caught up in our own lives and how easy it would be to miss something, even something big.
ReplyDeletePS Love you! And hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!!!
ReplyDelete