Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Old People

For a couple of years, I worked in a Skilled Nursing Facility.
It's basically a physical rehab center for old people.
They would come from the hospital, get about 4-6 weeks of physical therapy,
and then go home. 
While I worked in the SNF, I had a few jobs...
I started out as Hospitality Director.
I would prepare little packages of toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, tissues,
a TV guide, and I would make sure their room was ready to go.
If there were any maintenance concerns, I would help resolve them.
I would make sure the families were comfortable and would answer any general questions about the facility.
I would also conduct tours, and helped with Admissions.
I prepared signs, helped decorate the facility, and what not.
When the residents would get to go home, I had a special card prepared for them
with signatures of all the department heads, and I would prepare a little "toast" for the residents.
We would drink Sprite out of little toasting glasses and would have pictures taken for the residents to take home.
One of my favorite parts of the job was I got to just sit and visit with the residents and their families.
I met some amazing people.

Then I moved to Business Office Assistant.
I worked with the insurance companies and Medicare.

Then I became the Payroll/Human Relations lady.
That's pretty self-explanatory.

After I had Ava,
I worked for a few months on Saturdays as Admissions Coordinator.
I would review our residents cases from the hospital to make sure they were well enough to come to our facility and that we could meet their needs.
(We couldn't take patients with extreme Dementia, Alzheimers, or certain medications...)

I was also elected Employee Council President.
Each paycheck, the employees could opt to have $2 of their check go into an employee fund.
This fund would give gift cards to people that were having babies, getting married, or if they had someone die, we would send them a little bouquet of flowers. 
We would have little gifts for the employees on Mother's Day, Father's Day, and we also had a summer party, and I was in charge of planning the Christmas party (which was a big deal!).
At the Christmas party, we would give certificates to the employees who had been there 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 years. They would also get special gifts. Each employee would get a bonus from Corporate, but Employee Council would give gift cards to everyone. Also, if you donated to the Employee Council fund, your name was entered in for amazing prizes like digital cameras, IPods, Nintendo DS, and other cool things...
My last year as president, we had monthly fund raisers and raised enough money to have the Christmas party at Little America, and each employee could invite a guest.... it was amazing!

So, needless to say, I have a soft spot for old people.
They absolutely melt my heart, and I just can't get enough of them...
Nate and I came across this video, and it brought a great big smile to my face!!!

(Whew... that was a long way to introduce this video! Well, you know me... I can usually ramble on and on and on.... just like I'm doing now!)


1 comment: