Saturday, March 17, 2012

An Awesome Ward

     We have been blessed with an awesome ward. It was a little tricky making the transition from a student ward to a family ward, but I honestly couldn't ask for better people to be surrounded by. I was put on the Enrichment Committee, and my specific calling is Super Saturday, but I love helping out with every Enrichment activity. I have become close friends with the other members of the committee, and these are the girls that have become like family to me.
     I am also grateful for visiting teaching. The ladies I visit teach are just amazing, and I have really enjoyed getting to know them. I have tried to take visiting teaching beyond just going once a month and giving them a little lesson... I have tried to be more aware of their needs, and have tried to help them whenever needed. They are all in the same boat as I am... no family around, so I have wanted to make sure that they know I am there for them.
     I have loved getting to know our home teachers as well. Nate and I just got a new mattress, and needed some help bringing it in to our apartment. For the first time ever, we called our home teacher to help us. Although he was busy (he's in dental school), it felt good to know that we have somebody who can help our family.
     I am so grateful for our ward. They have become our family up here, and we have relied on them a lot. Although I have always had the desire to go to church and to serve in my callings, I never really felt part of a ward. The ward members were people I would see on Sunday and say "hi"to in the halls, but I never felt the need to really socialize with other ward members (except for a few close friends) because we had other friends and family. However, the members in this ward are my lifeline. I see many of them outside of church, and I love that Heavenly Father has blessed me with such great friends.
     I recently auditioned for the Portland Ensign Choir and Orchestra, and made it into the 1st violins. We rehearse every Tuesday, and since that's the night Nate has Young Men's, he has had to take the girls to YM's with him, but no one seems to mind. They understand that we don't have anyone else to take our kids, so they help Nate with the girls. I had a concert last night and tonight, so I had an extra rehearsal on Thursday. Well, on Thursdays, Nate plays basketball, so we needed to have someone come sit at our house for about an hour an a half while Nate and I were both gone (Nate's games are at 9:15, so both of the girls would be asleep while we are gone), and I was able to ask our bishop's wife to come over and be with our girls. She told me she would be more than happy to come.  Nate also had a scout campout to go on this weekend (yes, a campout... the one weekend I'm busy. Go figure!), so I needed someone to come watch the girls last night. I was able to call my friend and she said she would be more than happy to watch our girls.
     I am so grateful that members in our ward are willing to help us out. I would be utterly lost if it wasn't for my ward family. They have made our lives so wonderful up here, and have welcomed us with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment