We had a great 4th of July this year. Last year, we just kind of sat around because we didn't know what do to or where to go... needless to say, I really wanted to have fun this year! We started off by going to the Hillsboro parade. I guess it's one of the few parades around here that throw candy out. We had Krispy Kreme donuts in the morning and the girls drew with sidewalk chalk while waiting for the parade to start.
During the parade, I was kind of sad because there weren't any floats. :( But, we did see Lightning McQueen and Mator from "Cars"!
It was so fun to watch all the girls jump up and down and wave at everyone to get candy. They would also get super excited anytime a horse would come by.
I thought the Royal Rosarians were pretty cool. It was a bunch of older ladies and gentlemen dressed up in fancy schmancy white suites and they had awesome hats!
Elmo also came to the parade, and I dared Ava to give him a hug.... and she did! I was so shocked!
After the parade, we headed home and got ready for our BBQ. Since nobody has a place big enough to host a BBQ, we went to a park. But not just any park.... it was a park right by a fire station, which was pretty cool. I made red, white, and blue cupcakes...
red, white, and blue strawberries...
and a delicious salad! (Thanks Diane, for the recipe!)
There was so much food leftover, that we decided to take some to the firemen. I know what it's like to work on the 4th of July (um... hello, I worked at KFC for a loooong time. Working the 4th of July was mandatory!) and I'm sure firemen are extra busy on this holiday, so we thought they might like a special treat. They were so appreciative, and they ended up giving all the kids a little bag full of coloring books, fire hats, crayons, and a bunch of cool stuff!
They even let all the kids sit in the firetruck!
Being at the firestation was awesome. The firemen were so friendly and they made sure the kids knew all about fire safety!
After the BBQ, we headed over to a neighborhood called Oak Hills. They have an awesome fireworks show, and I love that it's in a neighborhood!
I don't know if I can ever say it enough, but I love the difference in personalities between my two girls... and these pictures say it all. Ava is so sweet, and loves to pose for pictures, and Halle is very fun loving and spunky. They had a lot of fun playing with their friends before the fireworks started.
Halle especially enjoyed eating all her candy that she got at the parade. She sat in this chair forever and unwrapped candy after candy... it was so cute to watch!
After the firework celebration,we headed home. I absolutely love the 4th of July! Not only do I love all the festivities that go one, but I love what the holiday represents. We live in such a wonderful country, and I am so grateful to enjoy all the freedoms and opportunities we have here.
How fun! I love that you took things to the firemen! What a great idea! I will totally be doing that in the future!
ReplyDeleteThat wasn't Jed, that last comment was from me by the way. :)
ReplyDelete