Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Grilled Cheese Bus

     As you know, Portland is known for it's weirdness... not only does that include the Naked Bike Ride (yes, people actually get together, and ride bikes naked.... yikes!) but it also includes some of the awesome, but strange places to eat. One of those places is The Grilled Cheese Bus.



     Yes, it is a giant double-decker bus that has been turned into a little food cart. Can't get any classier than that... The funny thing is, you order at another bus just a few feet away from this bus...


     On the bottom level, there are cute little booths that you practically have to squeeze in... but who wants to eat on the bottom, when you can experience some amazing grilled cheese sandwiches from the top?


     So, that's where we ate... on the top of the bus. It was a little scary because it felt like you could tip over at any given moment... but the kids absolutely loved it!



     They could all reach the top!!! Amazing, isn't it? We went out with a couple of our friends, and we all have 2 girls each... and 2 of them were being potty trained, which made for an exciting adventure. (Yes, Halle is one of those girls. I'm happy to announce that she's potty trained! Wahoo!) The Grilled Cheese Bus doesn't have a restroom onsite, so we had to book it a couple of times to a Mexican restaurant down the street. Each time we would go in the Mexican restaurant, they would ask, "Seating for 4?" and we just had to tell them we were there to use their restrooms. :)



     I ordered The Northsider which was provolone,  basil pesto, and fresh tomato on sourdough bread. I really wanted to eat The Moondog which had provolone, hard salami and pepperoni, chopped olives and peppers on sourdough, but you're not supposed to eat lunch meat when you're preggo. I eat lunch meat at home, because I know that it's coming right out of the fridge, but I didn't know how long that salami and pepperoni had been sitting out, so I decided to play it safe.


     Nate the Great ordered The Stickles which had Tillamook pepperjack cheese, avocado, red onion, and roasted red peppers on whole grain bread. It was soooooo delicious! I also tried a sample of The BABS which had bacon, sliced Braeburn apples, and crumbled bleu cheese and Swiss on marble rye bread. I will definitely be trying that one at home one of these days!


     After eating at The Grilled Cheese Bus, we headed on over to VooDoo Donuts. If you visit Portland, you must go here!!


     Nate got a peach fritter which was absolutely gigantic! Halfway through eating it, he was full!


     And this time, I got the ODB (Old Dirty Bastard) which had crushed up Oreos and melted peanut butter on top of it. Mmmm.mmmmmm....mmmmmm!!! Of course, the girls got their usual Bubble Gum donut!

     I have always loved going to new places, and especially to places that are different and unique. I am excited to discover more of Portland's hidden treasures!

1 comment:

  1. I would be in heaven at the Grilled Cheese bus! I would want to go there everyday to try a new one! :) I wish they had one here... :)

    ReplyDelete