Wednesday, July 2, 2008

10 years ago....
















Maybe some of you know, and maybe some of you don't. 10 years ago, my little brother was diagnosed with cancer. He had a stage 4 tumor on the side of his face. Quite an experience, let me tell you. He had radiation for 6 weeks and chemotherapy for a year.... it has been ten years since he was diagnosed. He has been in remission for five years, and I feel extremely lucky to have him as a brother. We also are celebrating his 1 year anniversary from when he had a major surgery. He was in the operating room for about 9 hours and in ICU for 3 days and in the hospital for 11 days total. This wasn't his first surgery, but hopefully it was one of his last. Since the tumor was in his face, they had to radiate his entire face, which has caused some complications.... but that's a whole other story. I am so lucky to have him in my family. He has strength and courage beyond any mortal comprehension. I used to be upset and ask why he had to have cancer.... but over the years I can see that it was a good thing. That's where I gained my testimony. I saw miracles performed and saw how the gospel truly works. I saw the power of the priesthood heal his body when modern medicine couldn't. I gained a testimony of prayer, fasting, tithing, and most importantly, eternal families. It's because of that experience that I knew I wanted an eternal family and I knew I could never settle for anything else. I'm so grateful for my family and for all the good doctors that Nelson's had over these past years. Here's to you, Nelson....

4 comments:

  1. awww I love Nelson so much. You are such a neat person Claud and you have a great brother. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This is Christie Tenney..I came across your blog through Rick and Chrissy Davis's blog. I love it! Which reminds me those cupcakes you brought over were really yummy. Claudia I love this tribute to your brother. I used to work at primary childrens in the cancer unit (ICS). Honestly, the kids that get cancer are the most amazing people I have ever met! It sounds like your brother fits that criteria exactly. :D

    Check out our blog: www.beejchris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration your brother is and also your words. Thanks for sharing that it really helps me to count my blessings and realize that everyone has their own struggles so maybe I should graciously take mine and quite whining about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a huge challenge to go through. I'm glad he made it through.

    ReplyDelete