Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts 'n' Things

I might as well get it in the open, now that I am finally out of shock and am dealing with things. Yes, I'm pregnant. Surprise!! Well, it was a huge surprise to Nate and me. Probably the last thing on earth that we expected, and it's now taken 5 days to sink in. Well, for me at least it's been 5 days. Nate still doesn't know what to think. :) I don't know why I felt hesitant to tell people, and I don't know why I felt like I needed to keep it from people. I think the majority of it is I know how badly some people want to have a baby and can't have them and then Nate and I aren't even trying and we get pregnant. I wonder why it's so easy for me and not for others. My heart goes out to you ladies who are trying. It really does. I want you to know that you have courage, bravery, and patience. Things that I probably won't ever posess.
So, now that I'm dealing with things, I'm starting to get excited. I'm due the middle to end of September.... oh it seems so far away. I don't feel pregnant yet. I don't have morning sickness, I'm not nauseous (or however you spell that dang word), I'm not moody (well, not anything more than I normally am). However, I am a little worn out by the end of the day and I do have an extremely magnified sense of smell. That's it.

A couple of weeks ago, Nate and I were asked to be the Ma and Pa of our ward for our stake's Youth Conference. The bishop said that he knew we were inspired to be called. We have a huge responsibility to prepare our youth physically and spiritually for this trek. Ideas have all ready started flowing and Nate and I were excersing 3 times a week and doing crunches and pushups every night to prepare ourselves, and then we get this surprising news that we're having a baby. Maybe that's another reason I was hesitant to tell people. We told our bishop (who is also the trekmaster for this trek) and he was a little nervous. But I know that Nate and I are supposed to go on this trek, it'll just take a little more preparation from us. I know I can walk this trek. Sure, I'll be 7 months prego, but if the pioneers can do it, so can I.

So, needless to say, this little surprise has changed our whole plans. I will no longer go to school after this semester. I would like to have the summer to prepare for the baby and to spend as much time as possible with Ava and getting her ready. We will have to move her to a big girl bed and potty train her. I DO NOT want 2 kids in diapers. I just want to be with her instead of worrying about school. Nate will probably go to school this summer so that he can finish up with his bachelor's this winter and start on his master's in the spring.

Sometimes I wonder if my body can handle this again. Not that my pregnancy with Ava was difficult, in fact it was pretty easy... it's the labor and delivery part that scares me. I am having a hard time visualizing how I'm going to take care of 2 kids. How can I love this baby as much as I love Ava? I guess my heart will just have to grow. :) I know Ava will be a big help. She loves babies. And, she's very good at minding me. She knows where to put her bib away, and she knows where the garbage is and will put things in there when I ask her to. She knows where to go to brush her teeth and to take a bath. She also runs to the door when I say we're going outside. She also is a big helper. She helps me unload the dishwasher and load it back up again. She's in charge of the utensils (minus the knives and forks) and helps me dust and wash the cupboards. She is such a big girl!

Please don't ever think that I'm ungrateful for this opportunity to have another child. I know that this baby is supposed to come at this time and that it's waiting patiently to come to earth. Being a mother is the greatest blessing I've ever had. No amount of money or schooling will ever compare to the love I have for my little girl and for this baby.

10 comments:

  1. Claudia! Congratulations! What a beautiful surprise! Your little Ava is beautiful and I know this one will be just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia,
    First, congratulations! Second, the Lord sends 'em when they need to come-sometimes whether we're ready or not! Just put all your faith in Him that He'll show you the way to handle any worries-and you'll find that at least one of you knows your path in life. :)
    You'll do great with 2 kids. A lot of women I know have worried about not having enough love, but the second you lay eyes on that baby you'll think you were so silly for ever thinking that! You'll do great, and things will work out. Just do your best, have faith, and walk along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Nate and Claudia!

    Those pregnancy emotions and feelings are so crazy. We had to try for quite a while - the funny thing is when I finally did get pregnant there was still an overwhelming 'holy crap' feeling. It gave me a whole new respect for women who weren't trying.

    You're going to do awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! We are so excited for you guys! You are awesome parents and that will only continue with the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's big exciting news, and definitely changes things up a bit, huh? Congrats! Things definitely don't all happen as planned, do they? I guess we're on the other side of things, but it isn't always easy to accept that the Lord knows best...or maybe that's just a problem I need to work on! :) We're excited for you! We've kind of been waiting for holidays and crazy health stuff to pass, but we would really love to have you guys up sometime! I know your craziness has now started...

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, Congratulations! Even when unexpected, a baby is an exciting thing! As for those feelings you're having...they are SO normal! Graham and I PLANNED for this baby and I still had those feelings up until a few weeks ago. I still can't imagine loving this baby as much as I love Sam, but I know all of those worries and doubts will go away with time. We too get pregnant really easily. We're just blessed that this isn't one of our trials. We have plenty others...and so will you. Don't feel bad for that! I don't think it matters how many kids you have or plan to have. Each new baby changes your world, scares the crap out of you, and increases your capacity to love. I'm really excited for the three of you! (By the way...I'm putting my vote in early and saying BOY!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting to connect some of the things that you said at girl talk. LoL, asking me how it is with both kids and saying that you were planning on 'trying' in september! Lol! You will do wonderful! I am able to do it and when I have hard times it is mostly due to my lack of organization! Which I think you are probably great at! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Claudia!
    You guys are going to be such a cute little family. I think it's cool that you guys got called to be a Ma and Pa for the trek, when you said you'd be 7 months preggo by the time you go, I was imagining you in a pioneer dress with a belly..I think it's a very cute image! You better take pics; )
    How far a long are you now? I kind of did the math but thought I'd ask anyway. Congrats!!! You are a great mom to Ava, and you'll be a great mom for this one too. My mom once told me that she didn't know how she was going to love me as much as she loved my older sister (she was just a couple of months pregnant with me). But she said that as soon as I was born she realized how love actually grows and expands. Lucky for me right? ; )
    Anyway, congrats! congrats! congrats!

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my darling little Claudia. You are such an amazing woman and mother. I know exactly how you feel. Sabrie was a surprise too. I remember how upset I was, I cried and cried. Ask Michelle, she sent me flowers becuase I was so emotional. I didn't know how to feel at first. I felt guilty just like you because other people try and try and still can't get prego. I truly beleive that my baby was meant to come when she was ready and there was nothing I could say or do about it. It is a dang good thing she did because she is the light of my life. I know you wonder about loving a second as much as the first, but know this it is inevitable. That baby will change your heart and soul forever. And you will wonder how you ever lived without them so long. You will marvel at how much you can love and be loved by your perfect angels. Claudia I love you more than you will ever realize. You have touched my heart and I know we knew one another before we came here. You are my best girlfriend and I am so happy for you and your family. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. P.s. Sabrie helps load the silverwear too. They are so dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how it feels to wonder if you can love another as much as the first. Trust me it grows, you don't share the love you have. BUT I worry even though I am on my 4th. You will absolutely be able to take care of 2. You are a fantastic mom!!!

    ReplyDelete