Man, this has been one crazy week!
Monday: Work (Nate in the morning, me in the afternoon)
Tuesday: Headed down to Delta for Girl's Camp. Nate came as one of the priesthood leaders and Ava tagged along as well.
Wednesday: Left Delta at 8 pm and got to SL around 10:30 pm
Thursday: Work (Nate and I all day)
Friday: Dr. appt at 8:15 am.... supposed to work but never left the hospital. On with my story...
Friday I went in for my 34 week check up. Got there at 8:15 a.m. Went to the bathroom for my usual pee test.... stepped on the scale and WHAM! I've gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks. I knew I was swollen and retaining water.... but 10 lbs is an awful lot! The nurse took my blood pressure.... DOUBLE WHAM! It's sky rocket high. Then the nurse comes in from reading my pee stick and..... TRIPLE WHAM! I have a 4+ protein in my urine. What does this all mean? TADA! I have preeclampsia (aka Pregnancy Induced Hypertension or Toxemia). Well, this is weird because it usually occurs in the 1st pregnancy (didn't have it with Ava) or your 1st boy (and I'm having another girl) so I am a highly unusual case.
They take me down to labor and delivery and I now have to be monitored for my blood pressure and take a formal urine test. I call my mom so she can come be with me and help with Ava. I am informed that I have mild preeclampsia but it will eventually progress to severe. If I wasn't 6 weeks away from my due date, they would have delivered me that day. But, the baby still needs time for her lungs to develop so I opted to get steroid shots so it will help her lungs. Oh yeah, the shots are in both my butt cheeks. Lovely.
Because my platelets were low (that's the stuff that makes your blood clot) and the high levels of protein in my urine, they want to keep me for 24 hrs and monitor all my pee. This is highly embarrassing. I have to call the nurse every time I go #1 and they have to come collect it. Lets just say I didn't sleep very well between going to the potty every 3 hrs and having my vitals checked every 2 hrs and I had raging heartburn! I had an ultrasound done and everything looked good with our little girl. Had things not looked good, they would have started labor.
So, my blood pressure eventually went down a little and I have been sent home on pure bed rest. To be honest, this is pure crap for me because I feel so lazy and useless. I can't do the laundry, dishes, and I was told I can't even take care of Ava by myself. I am not one to just sit and do nothing.... but I know it's important for me to just sit here so that we can maybe squeeze another week or two in.
As I was laying there, in my room, alone, I just started to cry thinking of how this pregnancy has completely turned our lives upside down. I will be honest with you.... I have had a hard time bonding with this baby because she was such a surprise. Please don't think I'm a horrible person, I've just had such mixed emotions. Then I began to worry about how we are going to make ends meet financially. I can't work anymore and Nate is in his last year of his Bachelor's program and is working as much as he can..... but we now have 2 children to support.....I am missing my cousin's wedding reception, and my other cousin's homecoming.....and as I started to think of everything that is not going right, I had to stop and remind myself of everything that I have.
1.I have an amazing husband who is now our only financial provider, has to take care of Ava full time, do the housework, get ready for school to start in a week, take care of his bed ridden wife, do the grocery shopping, and anything else that pops up. I am so grateful he puts up with me and all my little obsessive ways.
2. I have a great family. On both sides. My mom and dad, Nate's mom and dad and sisters have been so willing to take Ava off our hands and to offer to come clean and make dinner.... but it's so comforting to know just how many people care about you.
3. I am so grateful for modern technology. Kudos to all you ladies who labor and deliver at home without any drugs.... but all those ultra sounds and stress tests and labwork and pee monitoring have been so vital to keeping me and our baby healthy. You see, preeclampsia affects the mother's health more than the baby's. If it gets too severe, my liver and kidneys stop functioning, and I could have seizures and possibly strokes. That's why it's so vital for me to keep my blood pressure down.
4. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is aware of our situation and who is looking out for us.
5. I am grateful for my brothers. Both are out of state right now, but they called to let me know they care and are thinking about me.
6. I am grateful for the ability to have children. Enough said.
7. The list could go on and on but this is all ready a long enough post. Just know that I have been truly blessed.
So, what are the plans for the future? I have to go in twice a week for non-stress tests and to have my lab work done. It's become a day by day thing. So, we could be having a little bundle of joy arrive within the next couple of weeks!
That's pretty scary. I'm glad they caught it before anything worse happened. I too am grateful for technology. You very well could have an emergency c-section and both you and baby girl would be fine, Not true just a few decades ago!
ReplyDeleteYou are not a horrible person for not bonding with your daughter already. It's not instantaneous for a lot of moms. I had an easy pregnancy and planned it and it still took a couple of weeks with Ellen. You'll love her like crazy soon enough - even though it's hard. Give yourself a break. You're a great mom.
OH. MY. GOSH!
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy how things can change so suddenly! I'm so glad they caught it and are monitoring you! It's so overwhelming when you think of everything you have to "accomplish" but the only thing that really matters is that you and that sweet baby girl are both healthy. I have you two in my prayers and I know things will be fine!
Now take it easy... :)
Wow Claudia!! First, you went to girls camp at 34 weeks?! Super woman! You are all in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Claud! That sounds so overwhelming. I hope these next few weeks go quickly and you are okay through it all.
ReplyDeleteOh Clauida! I'm sorry things are so tough! But I'm glad you're looking on the bright side and counting your blessings. You have always been such a positive sunny person, no wonder you've snagged such a great guy like Nate. (BTW, it makes men feel even more manly when they can take care of their family so well, so be sure to stroke his ego by telling him often what a great provider he is! That helps Travis a ton when things get tough.)
ReplyDeleteAnd hang in there! You'll make it alright, then when you hold that little girl in your arms the bonding will come and you'll wonder how on earth you ever did without her too! Good luck!
Oh man that is scary. I am glad that you have so many people willing to help you. Let me know if you have any gaps in the help you need. I am not to far. 801-656-1226
ReplyDeleteWe missed you this week! Thats totally a bummer you have to go through all this! Hopefully we'll see you soon! Kory and I were amazed by how big Ava has gotten! she's adorable! and you hubby is an amazing guy! we saw his chasing around Ava all night an the reception and they were so cute!! I can't wait to see your next little one in a few weeks! good luck with everything! you are so amazing for being so positive through it all!
ReplyDeleteHang in there, and good luck with the next few weeks. Hope all goes well for you and your little family.
ReplyDelete