Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cake


My friend, Andrea, and I, love to decorate cakes. We took the basic course a couple of years ago, but we wanted to try our hand at fondant. The Wilton class was a little expensive, so we decided to take matters in to our own hands. She came over the other night, and we experimented with making our own fondant.....

Fondant is basically made of melted marshmallows and powdered sugar. You add a couple of TBSPs of water to some marshmallows and then you melt it in the microwave. The recipe said to melt it for 2 1/2 minutes to 4 minutes, so I decided to do 3 minutes..... well, as you can see, it melted all over the place!


Then you layer some Crisco ALL over your hands and the table. You sift about 2 lbs of powdered sugar onto the table and make a crater, then you fold the melted mallows in. It took a lot of kneading!!! If you want a great arm workout, just make some freaking fondant.


This was my kitchen after we had made 2 batches of fondant. We practice rolling it out, coloring it, and cutting flowers out.
And VOILA! Here is my finished product. I did add a little vanilla to the fondant to make it taste better... but it was really fun learning to mold the balls and the stems. You just use a little water to roll the stems and to shape them to the cake.

1 comment:

  1. You're so talented, Claudia! I love your cute cakes.

    ReplyDelete