Monday, August 15, 2011

Things I Swore I'd Never Do.

     Ok, there are just a couple of things I swore I'd never do.... like, marry someone who I went to high school with. When I was in high school, there wasn't really anyone who caught my eye. I actually dated quite a few guys that went to other high schools. When I started working with Nate, marriage was the furthest thing from my mind. But life happened and I ended up falling head-over-heels-gaga-in-love with someone I went to high school with. Nate and I actually have known about each other since junior high. We had mutual friends through high school and went to dances in the same dance groups. I never in a trillion years thought I would marry him.. but after 5 years of marriage I am still gaga-in-love. So... insert foot in mouth. :)
    Another thing I swore I'd never do... drive a van. Yup, you can guess where this is going...  We had an SUV and I liked it, but then we sold it right before we moved up here. We would like to eventually have 4 kids, so cars are out. But midsize SUV's don't really have any room in the back after the 3rd row. Unless you get a large SUV like a Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition. But, those are such gas hogs I didn't even want to think about what we would be spending on gas... especially since we plan on driving to Utah a lot. Finally, after years of never ever wanting a van, we started to look for a van.
     But, I swore I would only drive the NEW Chrysler Town and Country van. It is sleek and stylish and has lots of amazing features... and I swore that I would never drive a Dodge Caravan. Boy, have I eaten my words. :)  We knew the price range we wanted our van to be in. And as I diligently searched for days on end...
   We found a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has low mileage, Stow 'n' Go, and a DVD system. I have been completely humbled... but let me tell you... I am thoroughly enjoying our van. I love that the doors slide and I don't have to worry about Ava hitting another car with the door. I love the fact that the seats fold into the floor. We keep one of the seats folded at all times, and it makes for easy access to the back row, which is where Ava insists on sitting. The back seat folds backwards for "tailgate" seating which is also fun for the drive-in...




    And I love the fact that it has a DVD system. I don't really let the girls watch movies while we're driving around town. I think the only time I would want them to watch it is when we are traveling to Utah.
 I also love the fact that there is so much room in the back after the 3rd row. I can fit my whole double stroller plus groceries. The back also dips down for even more room. There are even hooks so that I can hang my grocery bags so they don't move around while I drive.
   The girls love it also. I have started tending a little neighbor girl who is about 4 years old. She is now Ava's BFF and they both sit in the back row when we go places. I am very grateful to have this car. The past 2 months have been awful without a car. I didn't ever really want to complain because I wanted to make the best of our situation, but I have to say that life is a lot easier now that we have 2 vehicles. And for those of you out there who swear you'll never drive a van... you better watch out! I am totally in love and I don't think I'll ever go back to anything else.

5 comments:

  1. I love my Town and Country. And the DVD will come in handy on the car ride back to Utah. We don't go on a road trip without ours. Congrats on the van and don't worry about eating your words. We all do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! Awesome Claudia! I only laugh cause we've had many conversations about this and I too say I will never own a van! :) I guess we'll see huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact same way about my van! We have a 2006 Kia Sedona and I LOVE it!!!! I only have three kids but it is so nice to have the extra room! And I also love that you don't let them watch DVD's around town. Kids are way too attached to the TV these days. -I sound like an old woman! lol ;) Just saying I love you and am so glad that I am getting to know you through FB and your blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you would love it, I KNEW it! Actually, I'm so happy for you. To have your own car again, and one that comes with so many nice perks is a blessing indeed. Good for you mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. he he he...we are getting a van next month...

    ReplyDelete