Tuesday, June 5, 2012

This Is How This Pregnancy Will Go

 A couple of weeks ago, I met with my OBGYN for my first visit. We went over all the regular stuff, yadda, yadda, yadda. Since Halle's labor was such a circus, my doctor wanted to have my case reviewed by a perinatologist  to see if they want to monitor me a little closer this time.  A few days later, I got a call from the doctor's office saying that my case has been reviewed, and that I will be seen by a perinatologist, as well as by my OB. Ok, fine, whatever. Well, today was my first appointment, and I came away with a mother-load of information and instructions on what's going to happen this pregnancy.

 I first met with the lovely nurse who took my lovely urine sample (heaven bless them for dealing with that!), and my blood pressure, which was 130/64, a little higher than last month. She also took my weight, and it was nice to know that I haven't gained anything so far. I'm not worried, I tend to pack on the pounds late in my pregnancy.... I also heard the little baby's heart beat. I can't tell you what a comforting sound that was. Then she looked at me and said, "I looked at your chart this morning, and it looks like you had a lovely little dose of preeclampsia and you went into labor on your own... you delivery looked crazy on paper, I can't imagine what it was like in person." Yeah, you're telling me. I told her she should meet my child that gave me such a crazy labor. Halle's pretty darn crazy her self.... it explains everything. Ha, ha, ha!!  She went on to explain that I have a muddy situation... Since having preeclampsia was so out of the normal for my 2nd baby and for a girl, they don't really know what to think. And they can't tell if the preeclampsia assisted in my preterm labor, or if it just happened to be a coincidence. She told me that I have an "interesting case and that in the medical world, you don't really want to be interesting". Now, some people might be offended at what she was saying, but I know that it's the truth, and she was really an awesome nurse.
     After she helped me, my OB came in. Let me tell you, small miracles have happened with this baby. When I first called to be seen by this doctor's office, my friend had actually referred me to see another doctor, but that doctor was booked the month I was due, so they asked if I would like to see Dr. Kondrat. I said sure, why not? Come to find out, Dr. Kondrat works jointly with the perinatology clinic, so she knows what goes on over there. Coincidence? I think not. I know the Lord has been watching over me. :) So, Dr. Kondrat came in to tell me what she had discussed with the perinatologist. Here's what's going to happen:

Today, I got my blood drawn again so they can have some normal lab work to compare future lab work to. They also want me to monitor and collect my urine for 24 hours so they can see how my kidneys function normally.

I will be put on a low-dose of daily aspirin. Dr. K said that's the only thing they have that can even mildly slow down preeclampsia. It hasn't been proven to stop it, but it can possibly help.

Weeks 16 (which is next week) through week 34, I will be given weekly progesterone shots that have to be administered through the butt. Progesterone can slow down preterm labor by 10%, which may not seem like a lot, but it's still better than nothing. The problem is I either have to go in to the clinic every week, which means finding a weekly babysitter for an hour or so, or she asked if I knew a nurse that could do it for me. If I were at home, that would be easy because my mom is a nurse, and I don't mind if she sees my lovely bum. But I'm a little far away from Utah, so that's not possible. However, here is another tender mercy of the Lord... my visiting teacher is a nurse, and I would actually feel comfortable with her giving me the shots. She is the sweetest girl, and I know that I would be okay with her seeing that area of me.

I will be seen by the doctor every 2 weeks instead of every month. I will also be getting vaginal ultra sounds to measure my cervix to see if it's opening. If it looks like it's starting to open, a stitch will be put in to stop the cervix from opening further. This will be done in a hospital under general anesthetic and will be removed a few weeks before my due date. They also want to see me closely to see if signs of preeclampsia come early and if I need to be put on bed rest.


I don't really have time to be put on bed rest, so I'm praying that things will go well. I have a family to take care of, we're moving on August 1st, and I have no family around... but I'll take whatever comes my way, and I know that I have a good ward to lean on, and most importantly, a fantastic husband who will take care of me.

My doctor said that if I feel worried, or have concerns and want to be seen, to call immediately, and they will fit me in that same day.

This baby has been a huge trial for me. I know I'm probably not supposed to say that, but it has been. Not only physically has it been a trial, but spiritually and emotionally. Most people think of a major trial in life as not being able to get pregnant, and while that can be a trial, so can getting pregnant when you're not even trying. That happened with Halle and this baby. They are seriously fluke babies... This has been a trial because I have had to lean on my Father in Heaven to know that he'll take care of us financially. Just because Nate now has a job, doesn't mean that we're rolling in the dough, and it has really stressed me out on how we're going to provide for another little human. But small miracles have taken place (a friend giving us a swing and playmat, another friend giving us a car seat, another finding a cheap changing table for us) and other friends offering to lend me their baby clothes. One of my biggest worries has been where we are going to live, and how we are going to afford another place, but this past week, we were able find a place in our ward that is sufficient for our needs. My faith has been greatly tested. I have had a few meltdowns, and I'm sure Nate thinks I'm crazy by now, but I don't care. He'll have to listen to me anyways. :)

I have been taught great lessons, and it's going to be a long road ahead of our little family, but I know that the Lord is mindful of us and will look out for us.

3 comments:

  1. Love you Claudia!!! You are amazing!! I will keep you and the new little babe in my prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post Claudia! You will be in my prayers with all that is going on for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genevieve here, Claudia -- CALL ME if you need help! I don't have a car, but I'd be able to watch your kids here, or if you come get me, I can come there! I'm free most days! I sure hope that all goes well with this pregnancy. It sounds like you've got great doctors (and a VT nurse!), and there's a good plan set in place.

    ReplyDelete