Hallelujah, Ava's freaking cast came off!!! She had it on for 5 weeks, and that was 5 weeks too long for me! Since she's broken her elbow both in the winter and the summer, I can confidently say that I would prefer to have a child with a broken bone during the winter months. Since mid-July, our recreational activities have been severly limited, and it nearly drove all of us crazy! Obviously we couldn't go swimming or to the fountains... but the parks weren't any fun because Ava's arm just go too hot, and she just couldn't play on any of the playgrounds. :( When we got the cast put on, the doctor told us no biking, no scooters, no running, no jumping.... basically Ava couldn't do anything because the risk of her falling and breaking the bone just above the cast was too high... but you know what? I said SCREW IT! She's a kid and I'll take that chance! She can't do a lot of summer activities, I'm not going to harp on her of she's running or riding her scooter!!
So, the Tuesday after we got back from Utah, we headed to the doctor's and got that filthy, stinky, itchy cast off!!
Ava's little fingers had taken a beating! They were constanly rubbing up against the cast, so the skin on her fingertips was a mess... Thankfully, they've started to heal...
Ava was super brave getting her cast off and getting new x-rays, so we celebrated by going to Wendy's and getting a nice cold frosty... and the day after she got her cast off, we went to the park and played in the fountains!
I cannot tell you how proud of Ava I am. There was one really hot afternoon when the sprinklers came on at our apartments, and Ava was out playing with her friends. All of her friends started running through the sprinklers and kept telling her that it was okay if she got her cast a little wet. But Ava sat off to the side and watched everyone enjoy the nice cool water, and simply told them that she needed to stay away from the water. I walked outside, and noticed her sitting alone, and she told me what was going on, and I got tears in my eyes because she was being so obedient. She knew that her cast couldn't get wet, and she stood up to her friends, even when it meant sitting alone.
She is such a sweet little girl and hardly complained the whole 5 weeks. She is constantly trying to do what's right and to be obedient... oh, how I just love her!



yay! So glad it came off! What a cute and brave girl!
ReplyDelete