We were able to bless Colbie on Christmas Sunday. I feel really bad that I didn't get any photos of the actual day, but I was just plain worn out after church. My brothers had driven all night to get to our house, and arrived at about 6 a.m. Sunday morning. I had been up pretty much all night with Colbie, and once my brothers arrived, I had to get my family ready for church.... And that's a big task, in and of itself. I mean, it's Christmas Sunday, so their hair has to look great, and they get to wear their fancy dresses.... plus I had to be to church an hour early to practice for two musical numbers I was in, and I was worried about feeding Colbie right before we left for church so she wouldn't be hungry during Sacrament meeting...
So, I didn't get any pics of her on her actualy day.... bummer. BUT, I did attempt a little mini photo shoot of her in her dress. I was stressed about finding a dress for her to wear. I kept looking online for dresses, but they were so darn expensive. I wasn't about to pay $100 for a dress she's going to wear one time. So, I finally found this cute white dress at Target for $20. Score. But, it was sleeveless. What kind of human make a newborn Christmas dress that's sleeveless?? Come on people....
So, I searched high and low for a little cardigan to go on top of it. My friend finally found one at Carter's, so I headed to the nearest one, which is about 25 minutes away. But it was totally worth it because my friend gave me a coupon to use for the cardigan. I know, I sound like a total cheap-o.... because I am.
Now I just had to worry about the headband. I like to have my girl have their own blessing dresses and headbands. Saturday night, I whipped up this little rosette headband with some tulle and a sweet little rhinestone center. I love the way it turned out, and I loved how it sparkled, just like her little dress.
Having Colbie blessed on Christmas Sunday was really special since our Colbie was presented before Heavenly Father to be given a name and a blessing. Naturally, our thoughts are turned to the Savior and his birth around Christmas time. And this year, I thought a lot about how Mary felt. Since I was still recovering from giving birth just a few weeks before, I kept thinking about Mary's labor and her recovery. Late at night, as I nursed Colbie, I thought about how Mary cared for Christ. As I would hold Colbie and snuggle her, I imagined Mary doing the same thing to her little son. While Jesus is the Savior of the world, there was a time when he was just a little newborn baby who needed to be fed every few hours and who needed to be rocked and held.
What a humbling calling Mary had as Jesus' mother. God entrusted her to raise His son, to care for Him, to nurture Him, and to protect Him as a child.
As I thought about these things, it gave me some insight as to how I must treat my children, for they are God's daughters as well.
I am so grateful for a husband that holds the Priesthood, and can give our daughters a name and a blessing. We didn't have any other family in the circle except for my dad, but we did have 4 of our closest friends join in the circle as well. It was a little sad not seeing any other family member there, but I am grateful for those who stood with Nate... for they have become like our family up here.
Our family has definitely been blessed by Colbie's little spirit. I have shed a lot of tears worrying about adding a third child to our family and how we're going to make it. I have shed a lot of tears in fear of having health issues, and things going wrong. I have shed a lot of tears over being so far away from family and them not knowing this sweet little girl of mine. But I know God has seen my tears, and that He understand them. I have also shed tears of joy and thankfulness to Him for sending her our way.





She is so beautiful in that dress. I am so sad that I missed her blessing. I totally know what you mean about Mary. I have had those same feelings this Christmas season. Babies can really put a lot of gospel principles in perspective. I love it. Colbie is so cute...but that isn't surprising knowing her mommy.
ReplyDeleteThat was a very sweet post. Great job on the headband! And I thought your pictures were great, too. Wanna teach me to make headbands and take good pictures?
ReplyDelete