Today it snowed. And snowed. And snowed. It was a constant flurry from 11 a.m. until nightfall. It seemed that the world slowed down a bit.
This was a tender mercy for me.
Nate went to Utah yesterday and took the little babe with him, and I was left here. Slightly homesick, but happy to have time with my 2 older girls. No diapers to change, no naptimes... Just me and A and H. It seemed as if Heavenly Father brought Utah to us today, and it was magical.
I had to run a few errands in the snow, and I was super nervous driving in it. It took me 30 minutes to drive 3 miles. That's how sslllooowww the cars were moving along. But, we made it home, safe and sound, and in one piece.
The girls immediately put on their winter dressings and went out in the backyard to play. They came in and out of the house about 5 or 6 times - each time taking off their coats and hat and boots and gloves and scarf... and then putting it on again 20 minutes later. The squeals of laughter and delight were sweet sounds. They planned how to build a snowman, and threw snowballs at each other, all while the snow continued to flurry around them.
I baked some cupcakes and cleaned my fridge (glamorous, I know) and didn't care about the water that was all over my kitchen floor. Memories were being made, and that's what was important.
I love the way Halle is dressed. She switched outfits 3 times... yes 3 times. She decided she wanted to wear her Nike tennis shoes outside instead of her rainboots. What's a mom to do? I let her wear the tennis shoes. Nothing on her matched, but it suits her quirky personality to not match.
I loved watching Ava make snow angels. She couldn't keep the snow out of her face, and I loved seeing her giggle. Especially since she is now missing 4 teeth.
Today was just what I needed. I was able to cancel piano lessons, had my grocery shopping done, no extra kids to watch, all my Relief Society stuff was almost caught up (enough for me to breathe a little bit)... I know that Heavenly Father gave me a little breather today. And guess what? It'll continue into tomorrow... school is already cancelled and my other plans for the day are put on hold.
Much like today, I have felt peace in my life this past month. Maybe I just had to get all my emotions and feelings into the open... I don't know.
A couple of months ago, I remember wondering how the Lord lifted burdens. He physically couldn't take away the things Nate and I were struggling with, so how would those things be made light?
Well, I remember the exact day my burden became light. It was the first weekend in January, and the boys were getting ready to go on a campout. I had to pick the chains from the Bishop's house (for his car... Nate was using it on the campout) and I had a chance to chat with his wife. She is a good friend of mine, and as she shared some of the things that were going on in her life, my perspective on EVERYTHING changed.
Before our little visit, I felt burdened by our callings. I was upset that we had so much to do in the ward while others didn't seem to be pulling their weight. I was angry about other things, and couldn't see why we were having specific trials.
After our little visit, I felt honored to have our callings. Our bishop has been working 18-20 hour days as well as tending to his church responsibilities. I actually felt selfish that I had complained so much about all Nate and I had to do... because it didn't really seem like a lot... I felt honored that Heavenly Father knows that Nate and I can handle these callings. I came away more determined to serve and to have a good attitude about it so that we wouldn't be a burden on the bishop. It may sound strange to you, but it makes sense to me.
Nothing about our circumstances has changed. NOTHING. But I feel a sense of hope, peace, and renewal. Nate and I went to the temple a couple of days ago and both got the same feeling that we are here to work, and to work hard. That's what is expected of us.
I still can't explain how my burdens have been lifted, but they have. Nate and I are doing everything we can to better our situation, and I just have to trust that God knows best and He has a plan for us.
What a sweet post! So grateful for tender mercies.
ReplyDelete